Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Grafix Shrink Film and TCW Stencils - So Much Fun!!!

Hi Everyone. As a Design Team Member for The Crafters Workshop we get to partner with some great companies and play with their products. We are partnering with Grafix which carries creative plastic films. Today I'm showing you how I used Grafix Shrink Film with TCW stencils. You can check out all their products HERE.  


I used the following:

Four Feathers Stencil 12x12 (TCW716)
Bird Gathering Stencil 6x6 (TCW684s)
TCW Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste
Grafix Shrink Film

The Crafter's Workshop provided me with stencils and mediums to create this project.

The opinions I share are solely my own because I do love to use them.

Using one sheet of shrink film I traced three feathers from the Four Feathers stencil and cut them out. To add color I used color pencil. I also punched a hole in the plastic before shrinking so I can tie them together.


Following the directions on the package, I shrank the feathers. Look how small!!! I love the way they turned out.



I painted the wooden frame and used a piece of bubble wrap for texture. Tip: When I want to add more texture to the paint I wait for the paint to dry just a little bit. Spray it with water and then I use a brayer to roll off the paint.


When I finished painting the frame I added one of the birds from Bird Gathering stencil to the frame with Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste. I let the Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste dry overnight.


The wonderful thing about Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste is even when it dries overnight, when you wet it again it will pick up the paint and spread it.  Tip: I use a watercolor brush because it picks up lots of water and only paint the stencil design with water.


Try not to let the water past the stencil design. Using water downed acrylic paints, high flow acrylics or acrylic inks just touch a spot of the design with paint and watch it spread.


You can continue to add paint until you feel it's finished.


Here is another close up of a bird.


I tied the feathers together and glued them to the frames.


Again, here is the finished frame. 


As I was shrinking those feathers I thought of many other stencil designs to use with them. I may have to buy stock in Grafix Shrink Film!!!!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. It was lots of fun to create. I'll have another post use a Grafix product in November on The Crafters Workshop Blog.  Stay tuned!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. What a great frame Karen!
    Do you remember playing with shrink plastic as kids? Shrinky dinks is what we used, I actually still have one I made! LOL See, I never throw anything away! Isn't it funny how what was old is now new again?!
    Love how the feathers turned out, they look cool hanging on the frame! Such a colorful piece!Great job!
    Jackie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karenliz: You are still the crafting master in mixed media!!!! This frame is such a vibrant colorful mix of supplies, techniques, and shapes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this design, great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz