Monday, March 19, 2018

Butterflies 2: Mixed Media Canvas

Sometimes creating art and blogging don't mix. I'm creating lots of art but I don't have pictures of my process so I feel like I shouldn't share it. I know...share it anyway.  But today's post I have a few pictures of my process YAY!!!
   


I started this piece using a 12"x 12" cradled wood panel. Almost all my art starts with painting the substrate black. I love the way the colors pop off black so that why I start this way. This piece I painted over the black with green, white, and yellow. The globe is from a napkin and the hot air balloon is a stamp on tissue paper I found in my stash. The bottom is a mixed of book pages, music paper, tape, and scrap paper.  


I used The Crafters Workshop (TCW) Matte Gel Medium to adhere all the bits and pieces of paper. All the other marks were created by using TCW stencils: Ornate Border TCW785 and Distressed Details TCW754.

In the photo below the paint was dry and I started adding rub-ons. I believe they are from Tim Holtz but I don't keep any of my packaging so I'm not sure. I also added more yellow paint and my favorite color, black. I love the darkness and looking up to the top of the canvas to the light.


With the addition of black paint I decided to add more from the Ornate Borders stencil and added more rub-ons.  If you notice I used all the words from the rub-on page. I love to do that although its expensive having to buy them all over again.  I also use TCW gel medium over the rub-ons so they stay on permanently.  The butterflies are from my stash.


Here is the finished piece again. The only change I'm going to make is to add shadows to the butterfly wings.


Thank you so much for taking the time to stop and read to the end of this post. I truly appreciate it. If you have any questions, please leave me a comment.


2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous painting, Karenliz - like you I LOVE colour on black, and you've made this combo a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karenliz, I don't know how I missed this,but WOW~~
    What a gorgeous canvas!! I love the steps you used and that you shared them as well- Stunning piece!
    Jackie xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz