Tuesday, December 4, 2018

How I use My Mother's Painting for My Art


My mother was an artist, my parents died in 2004, and she loved nature especially birds. She worked near a river and during lunch she would take pictures of birds to use in her art or just sit and sketch. During one art show someone tripped and knocked off a couple of her paintings. It was raining that day so they were water damaged. One painting was a swan family. She waited patiently every day at lunch to take pictures to create the painting. Since she couldn't sell it because of the damage, she gave it to me (being reframed now).

I love the painting and I've taken pictures of the parts of the painting to use in my art. I've created many pieces that I love and can't give away.

This is another piece of art that I created with her swans a few months ago. It was created on two round wood ornaments. I have decided how I'm going to display them.  I'm thinking of using wire to keep the two pieces together and then display them in a shadow box that I can hang on the wall.


 
I used many die cut pieces and rub-ons. I also used TCW stencils (no surprise there). I used TCW737 Love Sonnet and TCW785 Ornate Borders.  The swans were printed on Matte Photo Paper.  There are actually 5 or 6 baby swans (cygnets). She called this painting The Ugly Duckling. All the cygnets were white except for one which was brown and gray.
 
I couldn't decide whether I wanted to have a daytime or nighttime sky or clouds or sun so I put it all on this piece.  This piece made me realize how much I love collage.  
 
 
 
As soon as I get it back from being re-framed I'll add a picture to this post. My photograph is only part of it so you can't see the whole thing.
 
The pieces I create with her art is like having her right with me. She's my biggest fan next to my daughter. Growing up with my parents reading fairy tales to us this one became very special when she named it The Ugly Duckling. That story is one of my favorites.
 
Have you used something special from your loved ones to create a piece of art?
Inquiring minds would like to know!
 
Thank so much for stopping by! 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to memorialise your mom, Karenliz, and I love how her textural aspects are such a fine fit with your own work. Beauty and wonderful memories here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful merge of your artist souls - & as Win says, a wonderful tribute to your mum.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz