Monday, January 1, 2018

Cold Wax and the New Year

Happy New Year!!
 
Last year I started playing with cold wax. I bought a few brands and I'm just seeing where it takes me. For this piece I used Dorland's Cold Wax.
 
I also use this wax on my art journal pages so they don't stick together.
 
I started with using a 6x6 cradled wood board and covered it with a couple of layers of acrylic paint.




As you can see below I added pieces of scrap paper to the back and added a wash of white paint on the top. I found all the pieces I wanted to use from the stash and auditioned where I wanted them to go.


I added a thin layer of wax to the top. This time I tried heating it up a little with my heat gun.  When it cooled I wanted to see what would happen if I added some gold paint through a stencil.




As you can see only some of the paint showed up. Acrylic paint and wax don't mixed. But there were places where there was no wax so it dried nicely. Then I added another layer of wax and attached the piece of napkin to the piece.
 


What I tried to do is add wax, heat it up and then add more pieces; layer after layer. I also like to scratch into the wax to add more texture.





Here is my finished piece. I really don't know what is right or wrong on how to use cold wax.
 
But art doesn't have any rules, right???




Thanks so much for stopping by!
 
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year!


3 comments:

  1. This is very pretty. You never know what may be the result unless you try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really sweet Karenliz!What a great way to bring in the new year-
    I do like the gold, too bad more is not showing- it looks great with the creamy look of the wax. Looking forward to a super year filled with creativity- hope your is filled with the same!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating post, Karenliz, and I am intrigued, not having used cold wax at all. Love the results here! Happy New Year, my friend - may it be your best yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz