Monday, May 2, 2016

River Stones - Looking back on the past

Hi Everyone!

When I first looked at this new stencil called Pebbles Tied by The Crafter's Workshop, it reminded me of all the hiking trips with my parents. We all had backpacks, even the dogs, and would hike five miles or so to find the perfect camp site. I remember one river we camped near had all these small white pebbles all marked up by what they hit coming down the river. They were black and white. This memory is the inspiration for this canvas.

Here are the stencils I used.

Pebbles Tied




The Crafter's Workshop provided me with stencils to create this project. The opinions I share are solely my own because I do love to use them.


As I took pictures I had lots of ideas, but as you'll see they change. I first thought I was going to do this all in spray paints. I took the large canvas outside on my deck and started with these two colors.



 This is what it looked like then I had another idea.



I didn't like the spray paint so "Gesso to the Rescue" and covered it up and added the Pebbles Tied stencil here.


I used the edge of a palette knife and added super heavy gesso to the pebbles.


Didn't like where it was going so I painted over it again.


 Next I added the Corncob Etching stencil with super heavy gesso to different areas of the canvas. 



When it dried I sprayed it with water and put a drop of black high flow acrylic on it and let it do its thing.


I continued for a while and it looked like this.


Another idea, a wash of black.



I taped off some of the stencil design and started adding the pebbles with super heavy gesso.





Once dried, I sprayed the pebbles with water and added black high flow acrylics and let it go where ever it wanted.



Although its finished and signed, I may change a couple of things. Not sure yet. It will sit for a while.



You can see more of my art by following me on Instagram (karenlizhenderson). 
Thanks so much for stopping by!







1 comment:

  1. Love this Karenliz and I love that it brought great memories to mind to be your inspiration!! You made my heart smile with this post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz