Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Cheating with Stencils: Abstract 5x7 Shapes

Received an email giving their opinions on my art that using stencils was cheating. I should learn how to create art without them. They were also of the opinion that abstract art is not art. I don't think using stencils is cheating and Abstract art is my favorite. I use stencils for mark making, texture, and the designs add to my paintings not the opposite and yes, I do create art without them too.

Today's Abstract painting is created entirely with stencils. It's one of my favorite paintings and it was created on a 5x7 wood panel that was actually on sale in my local arts and craft store. I love creating on wood but it can be expensive. Stores that carry those wooden signs with quotes go on sale and I find some for $2 to $4 in all sizes and I just paint right over them.


I started this by painting over the sign with black gesso by The Crafters Workshop (TCW). To add texture I used TCW Matte Gel Medium and added tissue paper and some painted deli paper to the wood panel.  I also added a few pieces of paper towel.


I let it dry over night and then I added more yellow, orange, and black acrylic paint.


Now I could paint my own shapes on this or use some other items to make some marks but I used the Shapes stencil (TCW762) by The Crafters Workshop.  I started by adding the shapes in the same yellow and orange paint and then started using black.


To finish it I added my scribble. I love to add scribbles or sometimes it's hard to read word but this one is just a scribble.

I use stencils for 75% of my art and I don't think it's cheating using them. There are many artists who do use them. I love hearing others' opinions about art whether its mine or others. This email wasn't very friendly towards the end but everyone has their opinions. I have mine too.

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read this post.  I hope you enjoyed it.


5 comments:

  1. Cool canvas Karenliz!!
    Happy Easter to you and your family!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie!!! Happy Easter to you, Riley and Chum!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm always astounded by your multiple levels and layers of paints, gels, and other items and even layering stencils over other ones. Isn't art suppose to be about process? How the artist uses "x" item(s) in whatever format or method that is sparked by their mental thoughts? Your bold flight of the bumblebee (as I'm thinking it should be called) is terrific! Keep being artsy! Keep being abstract! (I've got a mixed media creativity group on Facebook I'm trying to get going if you'd like to join, Karenliz.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Becca!!! I love the name "flight of the bumblebee". I think you should be naming my art I can never think of one.

      Delete
  3. I am most amused by people who, in their lack of creativity, consider stencils to be verboten and abstract work to be lacking in artistry (it's VERY difficult to create a luscious abstract). Thanks for this post, the fabulous abstract and your glorious cheats! Cheat on, my friend, you do it so beautifully. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz