Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crusade 61 - GPP Street Team's Challenge Restraining Order

Hi Everyone! Until I started getting into art journals I never really experimented like I should with inks, paints, stamps, etc.  In an art journal it's so free for me that I can try anything.  One thing that I do is add lots of stuff to my pages which is perfectly fine. There are no rules. On Michelle Ward's GPP Street Team blog they have a challenge called Restraining Order to practice minimalism. Crusade 61 is Michelle's and her teams last one.


I decided to try it with a couple of art journal pages. I thought it would be easy. NOT! It was so hard to stop and take a step back, breathe, and say it was finished.

These pages are from my new art journal that I'm using photographs on every page. This first page I had a hard time walking away but now looking at it I love it.



This next page I really had to stop myself before I ruined the page.  I was having so much fun. The picture is a character from the movie, Horton Hears A Who, and her name is Katie. She is also my daughter's favorite character.  Katie also reminds me so much of my daughter and her imagination! The quote is what Katie says in the movie. It makes us laugh every time we watch it.



I'm going to keep trying to do more pages to practice minimalism.  It really changed the look of my pages and I think I like that!

Well, if anyone wants to join in on the crusade hop on over to Michelle's blog and join in the fun!

Thank you so much for stopping by!


13 comments:

  1. Karenliz, these [ages are fabulous - great colors and subtle patterns. I love the white images - very strong, but so soft too. I love the partial print of the harlequin, way more interesting than a full pattern. (I'm into portions...see Crusade No. 28)

    I'm so glad you found us. We will be on sabbatical for a short time but I hope you come back and play when we relaunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO hear you about finding it hard to not keep embellishing. For me, I start to have a relationship with my page and want to keep playing. You have really shown restraint and I think what's cool about this is that both of these are still dynamic enough to be continued, yet are exciting in their restrained tension. Great colors, too! I tend to be more minimalist, but even with mine, I was afraid to stop because I thought it would look unfinished. Still not sure.

    Isn't this a great challenge? I think you came through with flying...colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This first one especially really does look different from your normal style. And I DO like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pages Karen! Beautiful soft colors and images. The 2nd page is darling, clearly I need to see Horton Hears a Who! I really love your flowers made of petals cut out of different papers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pages are beautiful - I love the colours. The background stamping (especially the diamond pattern)is so delicate but works so well. Well done for walking away when you did - they are perfect as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pages! The first one really is peaceful. And I love Horton Hears a Who. Being a petite person myself, I've always been partial to the moral: a person's a person, no matter how small :) I think you captured Katie quite well. Very cute page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the walking away and then looking back and loving it- so glad you shared these great pages!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the white images on the coloured background; they stand out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is quite the challenge to stop short when you are in the flow isn't it? But you created some great pages!
    I haven't done a crusade in a very long time but am happy to join in this last one with so many great crusaders. Here's to a creative life! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the first one especially; I think you did a great job of saying stop.
    I always enjoy my "end of month, and the newspaper's finished blog cruise 'n comment" time. It's been lovely to meet you and your work via the Crusades. Thanks for sharing what you do with everyone. May the rest of 2012 be filled with creative happiness for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW your pages turned out fantastic! The text made me laugh out loud...
    Great job interpreting the Crusade!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pages! With photos like that, you really don't need any words. Very nice!
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHA! I love the one with Katie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz