Friday, May 20, 2011

Art Comes in All Sizes! Inchies, Inchies, Inchies!!!!

Salutations! I grabbed a cup of tea and walked into my craft room and couldn't decide what I wanted to do.  As I'm sitting staring at all my supplies my phone rang and it was someone I met at a card workshop a few months ago.  It was her first time making cards and walked out of the store with a large bag of supplies.  She called because she bought a few items that she didn't know what to do with or forgot why she bought them. We've all done that, right? I do that all the time. I see something that I want to learn to do buy the supplies and then months later don't remember why I bought it. Well, she bought a box of precut inchies and didn't know what she was going to do with those little squares. After our conversation she was excited and couldn't wait to start. I'm sure she is still in her craft room!

This phone call helped me decided what I wanted to make, inchies. I know quite a few friends who do not know what they are or what to do with them.  I decided in the next few weeks I am going to show you all the sizes of art that you can make.

First, what is an inchie?  An inchie is a 1"x1" square. This is what a blank one looks like.



The inchies that I use are precut and are thick 4-ply matboard. The matboard precut inchies come in white, black and nuetrals. I stocked up on these a while ago from Ellen Hutson, LLC.  At the time that was the only place I can find them. Now you can find them in quite a few online store plus craft stores in your area.  You can also cut them yourself. If you do make your own out of cardstock, glue two pieces together so they are sturdy.

What can you do with inchies?  They can be added to cards or layouts as embellishments. I swap them on forums.  You can also trade them.  The list can go on and on. 

The first one I used a flower stamp and colored the image in with sparkle gel pens.  



The next one I colored the inchie with yellow marker, stamped the cup twice and colored the second one with gel pens and used a pop dots so it would pop off the inchie and some wire for the handle, then added four blue paper punch dots in the four corners.



Next is a 1"x1" metal tag that I added paper to the back, adhered the flower and sealed it with glossy accents.



Once I used glossy accents I had to use crackle accents. This inchie is a little abstract. I have a cup of odds and ends on my table and found wire and beads and this is what I came up with.



This next one was really easy and it's made with a black inchie. All I did was take an eraser and white chalk ink to make the back ground and then punched holes and inserted the three brads.


Inchies can open like a book, three dimensional, have beads dangled from the corners, tiny scenes made with cut paper, pen and ink drawings, photographs, etc. It's amazing what artists can do on these tiny pieces! You can also Google inchies and you will be amazed at what you will see.

These are so much fun to make.  The possibilities are endless.  Why don't you give it a try!  Stop by next week for another fun size!

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Go Create and Be Extraordinary!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz