Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Where to Find Cheap Wood Substrates

Hi Everyone!
I love to paint on wood. It's my favorite substrate but expensive.
 
 
Where do I find my wood?
 
T.J. Max, Marshals, Target, and any other place that sells wooden signs. You know the ones that say Welcome, Be Happy, Family, or have little quotes on them. They go on sale. I've bought them for $1.99 (regular price $6.99) and sometimes less. They come in all shapes and sizes. I bought 25 sized between 10"x10" to 2"x2".  Guess the cost? ........... $12.00!!! YES!!!
 
Go to the stores after every holiday and you'll find some. Before you paint them make sure all the price tags are off and sand them. I don't try to take all the paint off just the surface layer. Use gesso or gel medium on them before you start.
 
Here is one I created using when of my finds. This is a Crafter's Workshop Design Team Project. I used TCW Big Wreath 6x6 on this project.
 
The Crafter’s Workshop provided me with stencils and mediums to create this project. The opinions I share are solely my own because I do love to use them.

On top of this piece I added gel medium with a sponge and then added Seth Apter's Baked Texture Vintage Bees Wax. Because I didn't use embossing ink, the gel medium bubbles.


You can see how I created this on The Crafters Workshop Shop Blog.
 
 Head to your nearest shop to buy wood for your paintings!!!!
You won't regret it.
 
Thanks so much for stopping by!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, so lovely with all those surface nooks and crannies to give so much texture!!! Great project, Karenliz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Karenliz, and of course I had to pop over to the blog to see how you did that lovely piece. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz