Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Black Cat by Edgar Allen Poe

Hello! Today I feel really bad but while I was making this 4x6 canvas panel I was so focused on it that I forgot to take step by step photos. I'm so sorry.  First, I will show it to you then I will explain how I made it. 



My step by step process as I remember it. I may leave out a few things but ask questions if something doesn't make sense.
  1. The background was made by using paper scraps and acrylic paint to decorate the canvas panel.
  2. Then with Golden's gel matte medium and a stencil I added more texture to the panel. I waited for the gel medium to completely dry before I completed the next step.
  3. Once the gel medium is dry I painted the whole panel with black acrylic paint and let it dry.
  4. Then with a damp towel I wiped the black paint off the gel medium to see the paper and paint underneath.  You can take off as much as you want. As you can see I left more black paint on the bottom end of the panel.
  5. The small poster of The Black Cat I distressed it with black soot distress ink and added some rock candy crackle paint.
  6. The tree is from the October 31 Cricut cartridge - I distressed that with gray paint and rock candy crackle paint.
  7. The wooden fence I found at Joann's in the $1 bin.  It's actually a very long fence but with wire cutters its easy to cut apart. I distressed that with cobalt blue, grey and black acrylic paint and rock candy crackle paint - i love this stuff!
  8. The cat was in my Halloween box of scraps that I added a piece of paper to and made the cat's eyes.
  9. The bat is made out of grunge board, black acrylic paint and red stickles for his eyes.
  10. Once everything was distressed and dry I attached it to the panel.
So what do you think? I will definately do the gel medium background again. It was a lot of fun. I can imagine using so many colors now.  Like I said previously if you have any questions just ask!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool, I love Halloween projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO unbelievably cool! Heidi would looove this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to read your all your comments.

Karenliz